As many of you know (or if you don't know you might be living under a rock) the "cronut" is the latest sweet treat to hit the market since the whole cake-pops fad. Not only are these things so highly coveted that people will wait in line for HOURS just to get a taste outside of the Dominique Ansel Bakery, but for those fancy pants peeps who don't want to wait, there is actually a delivery service that will bring you one for $100 or twenty for $3000. Sign me up! NOT. MAKES NO SENSE. WHY?! Are they made from unicorn tears and gold leprechaun nuggets?! Do they cure diseases? I rarely get fresh with language on this blog but this calls for a WTF?!
I obviously needed to try this magical confection but was not willing to make a trip to NYC to do so, nor was I willing to put in that much effort for this croissant-donut hybrid. I wanted it NOW. So I just bought some prepackaged crescent roll dough and made them myself. Directions below.
1. Mend the perferated edges of the dough and then fold it in half. Roll out your dough for cutting.
2. I used my adorable OMG tumbler to cut a circle (c/o Yellow Hammer Design Shop) and then my tequila top to make the hole.
3. Bring about four cups of veggie oil to medium heat in a large pot and fry them on each side for about 60-90 seconds then remove them from oil and place on a paper towel.
4. Roll warm cronut in a bowl of cinnamon and sugar.
5. The real cronuts have pastry cream inside but again, I wanted it now, so I just used pre-made vanilla pudding (snack pack style) and placed some inside of the layers.
6. Finish by making a simple glaze from 1 cup powdered sugar and a couple teaspoons of cold whole milk and drizzling liberally all over. YUM!7. Clean your tumblers, fill them up with skinny girl margs and reflect on the 1837 (guesstimate) calories you just consumed in one cronut. (optional step)